Skip to main content

I feel like Christian dating is like a Rumspringa in a Sense

I feel like Christian dating is like a Rumspringa in a Sense

Original Post is located here: http://scrip.ly/!245

2 Corinthians 6:14-15

ESV
14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?15 What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?
Rebecca from Breaking Amish
Rebecca from Breaking Amish
I wrote this to a woman who was looking for a man who followed Christ online, and never got a response. It was a seriousinquiry, because so often I find that people have basically taken what they like about Christianity, and left the rest.
You are beautiful, and super intriguing. That being said, I've said that I think that the only real Christians left seem to be Amish & Mennonite; and although I'm nowhere near living like the Amish, mostly out of fear and a love for tech - I feel like Christian dating is like a Rumspringa in a sense.
It seems like there are huge culture shifts between how the Jews dated in BC and how the Early Christians dated in AD than from how dating works now. How does Christian dating work for you, and how do you come to terms with the vast culture differences and switches in mores between then and now?

Song of Solomon 2:9-17

ESV
My beloved is like a gazelle
or a young stag.
Behold, there he stands
behind our wall,
gazing through the windows,
looking through the lattice.
10 My beloved speaks and says to me:
“Arise, my love, my beautiful one,
and come away,
11 for behold, the winter is past;
the rain is over and gone.
12 The flowers appear on the earth,
the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtledove
is heard in our land.
13 The fig tree ripens its figs,
and the vines are in blossom;
they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my beautiful one,
and come away.
14 O my dove, in the clefts of the rock,
in the crannies of the cliff,
let me see your face,
let me hear your voice,
for your voice is sweet,
and your face is lovely.
15 Catch the foxes for us,
the little foxes
that spoil the vineyards,
for our vineyards are in blossom.”
16 My beloved is mine, and I am his;
he grazes among the lilies.
17 Until the day breathes
and the shadows flee,
turn, my beloved, be like a gazelle
or a young stag on cleft mountains.
How should dating work for the modern Christian?
Cute Picture of Rebecca Bylar from Breaking Amish
Cute Picture of Rebecca Bylar from Breaking Amish
So when a woman says that they are looking for a God fearing Christian man who loves Jesus and follows the Word of God (meaning the Bible), a lot of questions come up for me . . . not to disparage her in her attempts to live a Christian life, but in an attempt to rectify the disconnect between my experience with hypocrisy within the Christian dating that I've experienced and seen out there in the verse, and what I know would be a challenging but interesting position of giving it all to God.

This usually implies bumping up the date of the marriage so as to not tempt the two wannabe lovers for too long while they long for Song of Solomon, or simply setting aside the wants of the flesh until such a time as was righteous (which seems like a long and futile effort). Many it seems has done away with this by looking on these temptations and mores as passé because of the love for the modern secular world of doing things, and fitting in. But when you have this conversation with someone of the opposite sex, things get real, because there is no hiding from it. You either follow the Good Book, or you don't. And it's hard to balance the two set of ideals.

1 Corinthians 10:13

ESV
13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

2 Timothy 2:22

ESV
22 So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
Lord, please help me to understand Your Word, Your meaning, and Your wishes. Help me as I try and live a life that gives You glory while also navigating through the temptations of this life, this time, and the lies that men and women tell themselves in order to manipulate the Bible to their desires.
Be the first to pray this prayer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Congruent: A Response to FB Red Equal Symbol Marriage Equality Profile Picture Protest

Some good points on redefining marriage. I saw everyone changing their FB picture to the red equal symbol, and so I decided to change mine to the "not congruent" symbol. I used white text in a slate black field.  http://s3.amazonaws.com/thf_media/2013/pdf/bg2775.pdf

12 Tribes Means Different Inter-connective Ways To Be Christ-like.

i had a kind of realization today that God works through people. And rather than having monocultures, or having people all act the same, all grasping onto the same way of doing things, the Almighty is at work through many different ways in everyone's life. We have to come to terms with His love in our own time, and in our own way, but there were 12 tribes for a reason, and each disciple was very different in his and her personality, persona and each had a different relationship with Jesus. i think today i realized that we aren't going to fully understand the interconnectivity of it all, until ultimately we get it explained to us in heaven. What can i do with this information? And how much of an epiphany is this anyway. Well, it gives me the power to forgive with an incredible amount of energy because i don't need to figure out what the other person is working on or how God is working within their life. I just need to make sure that I am working with God in my life. I n

Faith: Small As A Mustard Seed

Matthew 17: 16-21 16  And I brought him to your disciples, and they could not heal him."  17  And Jesus answered,  "O faithless and twisted generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him here to me."   18  And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him, and the boy was healed instantly.  19  Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not cast it out?"  20  He said to them,  "Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you."